New Student Organization Registration
Students seeking to establish a new organization should verify that the proposed organization does not already exist or resemble the mission of another student organization in some capacity. Proposed student organizations seeking recognition from Buffalo State College are required to perform the following in order to be formally recognized:
Want to start a new organization, but don't have enough members to submit an application? Students interested in starting a new organization are able to request "Interest Status." This will allow the proposed student organization to table in the Campbell Student Union and reserve space on campus for general interest meetings. Students who receive "Interest Status" for their proposed organization are NOT allowed to host large-scale campus events or programs. "Interest Status" will remain in effect for only 30 days. Students are allowed to submit only one request for the proposed organization once each semester.
This policy does not apply to social Greek-lettered organizations. More information on that process can be found on the Greek recognition website.
To apply for "Interest Status," please submit an Interest Form to Student Leadership and Engagement at email@example.com.
Requirements for Registration
1. Complete the Buffalo State New Independent Student Organization Application via Bengal Connect.
2. Schedule a “Starting a New Student Organization” advisement session with a representative from Student Leadership and Engagement
3. Find ten (10) Buffalo State students interested in joining the organization.
4. Elect a full executive board to serve as the leadership for your organization. This includes a President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary (these individuals count toward the 10-member minimum). All executive board members must be registered as full-time (12 credits), matriculated Buffalo State students.
5. Submit a constitution for the proposed student organization via Bengal Connect for review and approval by Student Leadership and Engagement. (example constitution)
6. Designate an Advisor who is a full-time Buffalo State faculty/staff member and supports the mission of the proposed organization. All Advisors must complete the Advisor Agreement Form prior to an organization becoming recognized. If you need an advisor, the Student Leadership & Engagement Office can assist in matching you to a full-time faculty/staff member through the Advisor Interest Form.
7. If approved for recognition, all student organization executive boards must complete the "BSC Consent Convos" training sponsored by the Dean of Students Office. Please Nina Pierino, the Sexual Violence Prevention Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements.
Bengal Connect Steps
1. Log onto Bengal Connect with your Buffalo State username and password.
2. Select "Organizations" in the Bengal Connect taskbar at the top of the page.
3. Select "Register an Organization"
4. Scroll down to Register New and select "Register a New Organization"
5. Follow the instructions and steps to create a new organization page on Bengal Connect.
6. Once you submit the application it will need to be reviewed and approved by Student Leadership and Engagement. You will receive an email from Bengal Connect within a few days with confirmation and/or further instructions.
Email us at email@example.com for more information.