New Member Education Programs and Requirements
All potential new members or aspirants must meet certain criteria prior to the start of their new member education/intake process. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the Student Leadership and Engagement Office.
Interested students should:
- Be at least a second semester freshman with 12 completed college credits.
- Have at least a 2.0 GPA (most organizations require a higher GPA to join and remain an active member).
- First semester freshmen are not allowed to join a Greek-lettered organization, but you may come to recruitment events to get to know a little bit about the Greek organizations
- Transfer students must also obtain an electronic copy of their unofficial transcript from their previous institution and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Meeting the above stated criteria does not guarantee your acceptance into a fraternity or sorority.
Members will be admitted in compliance with the SUNY Board of Trustees and Buffalo State College non-discrimination policy, although chapters may be single sex under Title IX.
- Members must be full time Buffalo State College students.
- Prospective members of social organizations must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 and have completed at least 12 hours as a matriculated student at a college campus prior to participation in new member education activities.
- To continue active membership, an individual must maintain a 2.0 minimum cumulative grade point average
Recruitment & New Member Education Recruitment and new member education periods will be designated annually by the Greek Liaison. All recruitment and new member education activities will be completed no later than November 15, 2019.
*Please note all approved dates are published on the Greek Life website each semester and may end prior to three weeks prior to the first date of final exams*
- All prospective new members and the members of each organization responsible for intake/new member activities and must attend a College-sponsored information session prior to new member education activities.
- All recruitment/new member education activities must be in compliance with the New York State Anti-Hazing Law. It is the responsibility of each organization and each member to understand the law and College policy and to adopt and implement healthy and constructive new member education programs.