Adviser Interest Form
Thank you for your interest in serving as a student organization Adviser at Buffalo State. Each year Student Leadership and Engagement receives multiple requests from students to create new organizations on campus. At times these organizations are without a faculty/staff adviser and are unsure where to look in order to fill the role. In addition, returning student organizations find themselves in a situation where the adviser position has become vacant and needs to be filled. It is why our office would like to give faculty and staff interested in advising the opportunity to have their name placed on a list to be considered for when organizations are without an adviser.
This form serves as a collection of potential advisors we can use to refer student organization leaders in need of a faculty/staff adviser. By completing this form you are listing your name as a potential adviser for a student organization.
Roles and Responsibilities of Advisers
- Must be a full-time faculty/staff member. Graduate Assistants or Interns are not eligible to serve as student organization advisers.
- Have knowledge and understanding with the student organization(s) mission, values, and history, lending continuity to the organization.
- Be aware and attend (when necessary) activities, meetings, and programs sponsored by the student organization.
- Build trust with the student organization and establishing guidelines for their role as adviser.
- Encourage members to assume responsibility for their actions and effectiveness of their programs.
- Guiding, while at the same time, allowing freedom for members to plan and coordinate their own activities and programs.
- Providing knowledge and information relevant to the needs of the organization through expertise and experience
If you have any questions or would like more information, please contact Student Leadership and Engagement at firstname.lastname@example.org.