Phillip Santa Maria Award for
Student Leadership in Equity and Campus Diversity
For 25 years, Dr. Phillip Santa Maria served as Dean of Students at Buffalo State. During his tenure, he was recognized both on campus and throughout the community for his leadership on a variety of diversity and social justice issues. The Phillip Santa Maria Award for Student Leadership in Equity and Campus Diversity has been established in his honor and will be given annually to recognize students who exemplify Dr. Santa Maria’s commitment to service, social justice and diversity.
Students, faculty and staff are invited to submit nominations of student leaders who exemplify his commitment to service, social justice and diversity through promoting respect for diversity and individual differences in their activities, projects, discussions, or their leadership with student organizations and groups for this purpose.
Criteria for Selection:
- Undergraduate or graduate student enrolled at Buffalo State
- Demonstrated leadership in the promotion of respect for diversity and individual differences through their roles in organizing discussions, curricular experiences, out of classroom experiences; special projects for programming that goes beyond that usually expected of a student. Encouraging their peers to embrace diversity and to appreciate the benefits of diversity on campus, in the community, and in their everyday lives.
- Created or played a significant leadership role in initiatives or programs that promote access, equity, or social justice in relation to the diversity of thought, diversity of experiences, and diversity of values of other aspects of diversity within the college or the broader community.
- Minimum of 24 credit hours completed at Buffalo State.
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5.
Please contact our office with any questions: email@example.com, (716)878-4631, Campbell Student Union - room 400