Here at Buffalo State, we recognize that it takes a village to support a college student. When we welcome new students at Buffalo State, we are also extending a warm welcome to the countless parents and guardians who have helped to get our students to this point. As your student begins their transition, there are integral ways that you can continue to support them.
Our top 6 tips for parents and student support networks
1) Make sure your students has RSVP-ed for Orientation, and register yourself to attend orientaiton with your student.
2) Encourage your student to create their first semester schedule. If your student is a first year, they need to schedule a meeting with their academic advisor. As this will allow them to work with a knowledgeable professional to build their first semester schedule. If your student is a transfer student, they can simply view the transfer student tutorial to learn more about registration. (we suggest students complete this step ASAP after registering for orientation)
3) Encourage your student to complete the pre-orientation tutorial located on Flipgrid. The pre-orientation tutorial provides an introduction to many of the departments they will hear from during their scheduled session. It also allows students to learn more about the various academic programs offered at Buffalo State. (we suggest completing this step at least 2-3 weeks prior to their scheduled orientation)
4) Encourage your student to set up their technology accounts and ensure they know how to access their BSC email. BSC email is the ONLY official means of communication between students and the college, so they should check this regularly. (we suggest completing this step at least 2-3 weeks prior to their scheduled orientation)
5) Encourage your student to order their BSC student ID Card and Bus pass. These are free to students, but there is a replacement fee if lost. Students are able to upload their favorite picture for their ID instead of waiting to take a picture at the start of the semester. ID cards and bus passes can be picked up in the Butler Library. (we suggest students complete this steps about 1-2 weeks prior to the start of the semester)
6) Encourage your student to check out the “What to do after orientation” page. There they can complete the orientation satisfaction survey, checkout the orientation Linktree for resources, learn how to review their student account, connect with the scholarship portal, and more! (we suggest completeting this step within one week of attending orientation)
Once again, welcome to the Buffalo State Bengal Family!